Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Confession #42: Aprons make geat summer dresses

Follow Me on Pinterest
 
 
I recently decided my craft closet needed a good once over and in doing so I came face to face with all my unfinished projects. I decided to focus on finishing them before starting anything new. Which is really hard because I just picked up some super cute fabric from my local thrift store.
 
Simple apron
Among one of the unfinished projects was an apron I purchased at said thrift store over a year ago. With the intent of turning it into a summer dress for my daughter. Well, I am happy to report, such project it finally finished.
 
It turned out to be a rather easy sew. I had no pattern, I just had to wing it. But sometimes that makes the best stuff. I was so excited about this project that I failed to take any photos of the actually process. But I am going to try to recreate it for you the best I can.
I started with a simple apron like the one pictured to the right.  





 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I first cut off the long ties (but save them you will use them!). I sewed the two sides of the apron together but leave a 3 or 4 inch gap at the top so you can add buttons or a zipper.

I then finished the gap with coordinating bias tape. and a cute button with elastic. I decided to go this route because: a. I'm scared of button holes and b. the dress was a little snug and this added just the extra give that it needed.


 
Next up I cut one of the apron ties in half and used that for both the dresses straps.
 

I than stuffed the remanding strap with thick elastic and sewed it tight to make a headband.
 

I looked up some ideas for making flowers and found this great tutorial. I used red fabric that I had on hand (make sure you use something that doesn't fray). I added a flower to both the dress and the headband. I also added a little red bias tape to line the pocket the apron came with. I thought it made the dress stand out a bit.
 
 
My intention is to make a pair of matching red leggings for this outfit. But I promised myself I wouldn't start anything new until I finish all the other projects. So those leggings will have to wait.

Don't mind the hair, she "fixed" it
I think this turned out great. It took me less than 2 hours to do the dress (including making the flowers). My daughter was excited because we made it during her brothers naptime. And she got to help! I love having her be a part of the process.


So keep your eye out for cute aprons, because where there once was an apron, there could be an adorable dress.
 
I love her funny faces

There's nothing better than running in a flowing dress. Except maybe doing it barefoot.
 



Now for some unfinished stuffed turtles.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment