Monday, January 2, 2012

Confession #6: Some of the best chips are potato free!

Follow Me on Pinterest
Recipe: Zucchini Chips
 What you will need: Zucchini, oil (I used grape seed), seasoning (I used the onion blend from WildTree) and a dehydrator (you can use an oven too but I am addicted to my dehydrator and hope everyone has one someday)

Step 1: Wash your zucchinis and slice them paper thin. You will notice that in the photo to the left my zucchini are peeled. I normally do not peel them, and actually like them better with the peels, but I have come across a local restaurant in my area that only uses the peels and will give me the meat for free. So I jumped at the chance. And since the owner loved my chips, I figured it was only fitting to make chips with their zucchinis.
 Step 2- Once you have sliced all your zucchini, put them in a large bowl and toss them with enough oil to lightly cover each slice(I highly recommend you go out and invest in grape seed oil but you can also use olive or vegetable oil). It is important that you do not drench the zucchini in oil. They should not even be dripping.

Step 3- Toss in seasoning of your choice. I discovered Wildtre this past summer and have been using it as a marinade for a lot of my dried food. The Oh So Onion and Garlic Galore work awesome on these chips. But you can also use an Italian dried spice mix, or kick them up with a little red pepper flakes.Whatever the spice just make sure you have enough so that each zucchini has enough spices on them.

 The more spice the stronger the flavor. And since your zucchini is paper thin, make sure you break each slice apart so that each slice has spice and oil on each side.
Also you can put three or four zucchinis side by side (see photo to your left) and slice them all at once. It saves time. Just make sure you are slicing them all think enough.

Step 4- once you have them all sliced arrange them on your dehydrator sheets. Space them so that air can circulate around them.

 Step 5- This step is optional but I think it is important. When drying foods that have oil it is a good idea to leave the last try on the bottom empty and line it with parchment paper. This way is any oil drips it is not dripping on the hot coils.


Step 6- Turn your dehydrator on medium or 3 and walk away! Come back to check on them in about 12 hours. If they are not completely crisp than they need more time. I ended up having mine in for about 19 hours. But they were well worth the wait. I cut 11 zucchinis and half I baked into that nights dinner and the other half I made into chips. Sean, my husband, and my daughter, Liana, ate them all that day! And even though I put on slippers to go outside to the dehydrator, you can do this whole recipe without shoes.

I just want to give a shout out to Alchmy restaurant in Muprhys and Erin from WildTree
check them out:

1 comment: